What if you could talk to a drone? No, seriously. You can already talk to a locomotive, so why not talk to a drone?
For those of you following the technology, you already know that unmanned aircraft systems (a.k.a. drones) are finding their way into Internet of Things (IoT) implementations. IoT applications are typically composed of:
- A sensor “at rest,” e.g., on a highway or a bridge or a thermostat that gathers input (like weather conditions or seismic activity)
- A connection (via the Internet) between the sensor and a back-end data collection infrastructure
- A back-end data collection infrastructure that’s commonly based in the cloud
So why do I claim that drones the future of IoT? For one, drone technology is evolving very rapidly. Drones are already beginning to efficiently replace the connected sensors at rest with one device that is:
- deployable to different locations
- capable of carrying flexible payloads
- re-programmable in mission
- able to measure just about anything, anywhere
To illustrate the trend and these capabilities, I’ll highlight the developments of several companies. But first – so that we are all on the same page – let’s look at what I mean when I talk about drones.
Read more here: http://droneanalyst.com/2014/12/01/drones-are-the-future-of-iot/
Powered by WPeMatico